Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Hello, Dolly!

Well, I must admit that I was a tad scared of the impending hurricane...with such a silly name. Wouldn't it have been embarrassing to say that a sweet name like Dolly ripped through our town? Sad!

This morning I woke to the high winds rattling our little home and wondered what the weather would bring. Since we live so far south, we got hit first with the rain and thunder and lightning and wind beating down on my beautiful roses. (one bush broke because the trailess was uprooted..sad day!)

Were any of you affected by dear old Dolly? She's still churning the cottonfields of south Texas and Mexico as I type this, but thankfully she is moving away from us. I do not like storms, even though they do produce some extraordinary pictures! I pray the people in Dolly's path took the necessary precautions and are safe and sound. What interesting swirls of wind and rain, hurricanes are....it baffles me that every region on this planet has some sort of natural disaster to answer to. I think I prefer hurricanes to tornadoes, mudslides, wildfires, and tsunamis. But you know, none of us are immune to the natural destruction our earth can muster. I read a book when I was 10 about a girl who used to paint seascapes and she used to envision God's fingertips in the waves and she could make the water come alive for people to see.

I always wanted to be like her. :) Oh how dreamy I was. I wonder if Wesley will be as dream-filled as Nathan and I are....I say "we are both that way" in the sense that Nathan, too, has a way of envisioning great things and he can sit and stare at the sky and think about nothing and everything. God knew what He was doing when he paired us up. :) Surely Wesley and any other future children (the Lord willing) will inherit some form of our imagination. If not, well then they will just have to deal with parents who speak Narnian. Mom and I were discussing children and if we had another baby, what would their room theme be. Since Wesley's is Around the World in 80 Days, I think it would be REALLY cool to do a Narnia room theme. I could go on forever with all those silly ideas.

I was reading at Barnes and Noble the other day (where I ran into Tara and Gauge and Chris!) and I saw a book with cool room ideas. Naturally I pounced on that and discovered a house with a SECRET PASSAGE built in through the home office. It was through the bookcases in their study. THAT is exactly what I would want. This family used it as their "special space" for the kids to play in. Shoot, I would want to play in that kind of room, wouldn't you?

Alright, I've digressed, I have no idea how I ran from a silly named hurricane to home decor. That's a woman for you, isn't it?

Wesley was very enamoured with the storm today. (see the pictures above) He was wondering what that loud thunder was and why it wasn't as hot as it usually is. He took good naps today! It still amazes me how quickly babies grow. A month ago Wesley began "Army Crawling" and just this week he is crawling on his hands and knees. He's 6 months! So fast has my baby grown. He had his check up yesterday and he's in the 85th percentile for size and weight. He is very "proportionate" and very healthy according to our ped. and he smiled and charmed the nurses left and right. I asked Dr. B what the heck the percentile stuff meant and all he said is that Wesley is very tall and long and his weight matches that. I can't remember his measurements...sorry! I wrote it down though.

He told me to start Wesley on meats. And I did. And let me just say they are nasty smelling! :) He only liked it mixed with his green peas (his favorite veggie) and bananas and apples are still his favorite fruit. Nathan likes bananas. hehe.. Oh and still no sign of teeth, I know it's early, but he had been teething so monstrously that I thought "surely! he would have had one by now". It is not so.

Alright, I've been here long enough, time to go play with my boys! Stay dry!

1 comment:

  1. jadie wadie, i dont know how to subscribe to people!! im glad the storm didnt do too much damage. and yes, we had some great times that summer!! :)

    ReplyDelete