Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Anne Shirley!


Anne of Green Gables is one of my most cherished childhood books. The movies are so dear to my heart, curling up on the couch with hot chocolate and an Anne of Green Gables movies is one of my favorite things ever! I also watched the Road to Avonlea series every monday night on the Disney Channel with my mom. It was so heartfelt and endearing. Nothing at all like what you see on tv today. I feel for our children and the garbage that they are going to be exposed to (and already are!). Anne of Green Gables and the Road to Avonlea bring back such a flood of memories for me. Did you know you can buy the series on dvd? My mom has 2 seasons.

One of my favorite quotes from Anne of Green Gables is when Anne and Diana are visiting Aunt Josephine in the city and being spoiled rotton by her Aunt Jo's kindness.

Diana Barry: I wish I were rich, and I could spend the whole summer at a hotel, eating ice cream and chicken salad.
Anne Shirley: You know something, Diana? We are rich. We have sixteen years to our credit, and we both have wonderful imaginations. We should be as happy as queens.
[gestures to the setting sun]
Anne Shirley: Look at that. You couldn't enjoy its loveliness more if you had ropes of diamonds.
Diana Barry: I don't know about that.

I think they are so hilarious. What would it have been like to be their age living at the time that they did with the horse and buggy and one roomed school houses and having to put cheesecloth over your pudding at night so rats don't get in it! What a riot!

Anyone up for a girls night of Anne of Green Gables movies?? My mom has them all! Wooo!

5 comments:

  1. I looove Anne of Green Gables. I have been bugging Matt to get me the series on DVD, he said maybe for Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wear braided pigtails because of Anne. :o)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I always wanted red hair and freckles b/c of Anne when I was a little kid...probably not a good look for me in reality...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ok...I WANTED TO BE ANNE WHEN I WAS LITTLE! Those movies are my favorite!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh how I love Anne of Green Gables! Between she and the March sisters from Little Women, my make believe schedule was overflowing as a kid. I need to get those DVDS.

    (By the way, nice to meet you. I'm glad I found a kindred spirit here, thanks to Kate and her link!)

    Kara

    ReplyDelete