Thursday, December 11, 2008

Brandon Heath

Brandon Heath's song "Give Me Your Eyes" is stuck in my head.
A couple weeks ago (when it was a nice 78 degrees outside) I was sitting at the intersection of Staples and Williams near Moore Plaza with my windows rolled down listening to K-Love. I was running errands by myself while Wesley and Nathan were hangin out at the casita. It was sort of refreshing being by myself, enjoying the cool breeze, not all impatient at the long line of people trying to turn Right onto Staples. (I was coming from Rodd Field). Well Brandon Heath's song came on and I really just listened to the words while I sat there staring at people driving by, at people trying to merge through the construction, at people trying to get onto the road from the nearby parking lots. I noticed the people crossing the streets, the homeless guys on the corner with their signs that say "Need Help, God Bless". I noticed that nearly every person in front of me were on their cell phones while we waited for the red light to change. I was just so overcome by the "millions" of people that inhabit this earth. Billions really. But the astronomical, growing, amount of people who live and breathe, who were created for purpose. I was so overwhelmed that I couldn't hit the gas for just one moment because the greatness of creation was pressing against me. I used to tell Nathan that women were the crown of creation. (I said it all the time when we were dating hehe) I became very aware of this infinite, passionate love that God has for all his creation. I was in awe. Deep, real, awe. I felt the words of Brandon's song and I just praised God for giving me that moment of sympathy for the people of the world. I hope to never let that go. Check out his music video below. And I encourage you today to just really look at people the way our Creator looks at them. It, to me, is an impossible feat, but one that we can strive for. It will bless your soul, really.


Brandon Heath - Give Me Your Eyes lyrics

Looked down from a broken sky
Traced out by the city lights
My world from a mile high
Best seat in the house tonight
Touched down on the cold black top
Hold on for the sudden stop
Breath in the familiar shock
Of confusion and chaos
All those people going somewhere,
Why have I never cared?

Chorus:
Give me your eyes for just one second
Give me your eyes so I can see
Everything that I keep missing
Give me your love for humanity
Give me your arms for the broken hearted
Ones that are far beyond my reach.
Give me your heart for the ones forgotten
Give me your eyes so I can see
Yeah
Yeah

Step out on a busy street
See a girl and our eyes meet
Does her best to smile at me
To hide what's underneath
There's a man just to her right
Black suit and a bright red tie
Too ashamed to tell his wife
He's out of work
He's buying time
All those people going somewhere
Why have I never cared?

Chorus

I've Been there a million times
A couple of million eyes
Just moving past me by
I swear I never thought that I was wrong
Well I want a second glance
So give me a second chance
To see the way you see the people all along



No comments:

Post a Comment