Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Cake Eaters

My curiosity has drawn me back to the blog world. I am interested to know if anyone out there has experienced something similar to the story below.

I have had some conversations with different people over the last few months about one of my friend’s childhood traditions. When I explain the idea to them, they either don’t believe me or they say that Mason’s parents were probably trying to kill him and his friends. Now, I don’t believe that is the case, but you decide for yourself.

When Mason was younger, his mother would bake him a birthday cake. Not just any birthday cake, but a special one. One you cannot buy at a bakery. (I assume because of lawsuit abuse and such).

He says he distinctly remembers the cake always being rainbow flavored. I’m not sure if that’s a real flavor or not, but he says it’s the kind that is yellow and has all the colored dots sprinkled inside. Anyway, the cake wasn’t the good part. It’s what was inside the cake that counts. After baking at 350 degrees for 25-30 minutes, the cake was iced, sprinkled, candled, etc just a like a regular cake. Once the cake was cut and everyone had a piece, Mason’s mom would tell everyone to chew their cake at least seven times before swallowing.

What’s so special about a cake you have to chew seven times? Well, besides possibly saving the cake eater’s life, chewing this special cake at least seven times could help you recharge your remote controlled car batteries or help you to pay for the birthday present.

How is this possible you ask? I will tell you.

Before the cake was placed in the oven, Mason’s mom wrapped a handful of 50 cent pieces, silver dollars, quarters, etc in aluminum foil and sprinkled them in the cake batter. Only the luckiest cake eaters were able to pan some treasure out of their slice of cake.

How awesome is that!?

Granted, it shouldn’t take seven chews to find out if you’ve hit gold or not. Depending on the amount of dental reconstruction, you might know if you have a lucky piece before the first bite.

Personally, I think Mason has one of the coolest moms ever, but feel free to disagree if you think this is way too dangerous for a kid’s birthday party. If so, I’ll tell you about a game his mom had the kids play involving dropping clothespins from their nose.

To lend credibility to this story I have found a link with directions for making your very own money cake. This link is completely unassociated with Mason and his mom. She’s not Canadian.

The names of the characters in this story have been changed to protect the innocent.

So…has anyone else ever heard of the money cake?

6 comments:

  1. I've heard of King cake with a baby Jesus...not a money cake though.

    I'm in the group that would not bake a cake like this for fear that someone would choke...

    ReplyDelete
  2. well, i would be afraid of choking and I think it's pretty disgusting. Money is really germy and nasty and I dont know if it gets sterilized in the baking process but i think its GROSSS and I think Mason's mom is a little crazy ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. hmmm... I remember learning about something like this in my history class in Jr. High but it was a cake with a ring in it... i think... 7th grade was a long time ago :)

    and I am with both of you... money is yucky and i would be worried that i would choke someone!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, aside from the whole germ factor of money...because I don't even like to touch money as an adult...I'm thinking of the heating up of metallic items and wondering if the chemical components could alter the safety of the cake itself. Whatever happened to the whole pinata concept?!?! You can still find monetary goodness and not have to ingest thousands of potentially harmful micro-organisms!

    ReplyDelete
  5. haha thats exactly what I think Heather!

    ReplyDelete
  6. my great grandmother used to wash, hang out to dry and iron (just the bills mind you)our money that she gave when she was little! i never thought about it being clean i just thought it was cool that it was crisp!

    ReplyDelete