Tuesday, April 14, 2009

1884-1986

We had such a fun Easter Sunday! It was nice playing outside, though the weather was forecast as dreary and ugly...it was gorgeous and warm! How was your day of celebration? What an incredible opportunity we have to celebrate a living King. So often our hearts are pointed to personal idols, selfish ambitions, internal battles. But Easter Sunday is a day to let our joy ring because our King is ALIVE today.

I was thinking about my great-grandmother yesterday. She was born in 1884 and she died in 1986.....yep. That's a pretty long life. She lived through the turn of the century, the sinking of the Titanic, the Great Depression, the bombing of Pearl Harbor, the Industrial Revolution, the building of highways, assassinations, wars, influenza epidemics, peace treaties, discoveries, and lunar exploration. WOW. Pretty intense, huh?

Obviously, history fascinates me, and I wonder what I will see in my lifetime. What Wesley will see, what the future holds and how our past will affect that future. It's quite overwhelming. When I was a little kid I used to daydream about living forever and ever and ever and seeing the world change. I never minded the fact that I was alone in my daydreams, exploring the earth as it turned slowly on it's axis. As an adult, I see how childish that daydream was, but it sure entertained my silly imagination. I also used to wish I was a mermaid, so don't take me too seriously, people. ;)

Not quite sure where I'm going with all these musings, but I do enjoy thinking about all the things my great-grandmother Escamilla lived through. Now, I never knew her. I was just 2 when she died. So, I don't know if she truly "lived". If she read the news or if she questioned her place in this world. For all I know, she just stayed in her tiny house in the valley. I think I'll ask my mom and aunts a little more about her the next time we all get together....

1 comment:

  1. Jade...I still do wish I was a mermaid. ssshhhh....

    ReplyDelete