Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Music, the food of love?

Music speaks to me. I admit, that if I am in a funk or feeling pretty stoic, play the right song and my mood will transform. That's why when I am in church in worship, you don't see me jumpin all over the place, going nuts with my arms raised and my eyes raised to the heavens. (I have to make an edit here: I love to see God's people in worship. When they are moved to dancing, tears, raised arms, kneeling before the Lord; whatever is happening between them and God, I love to see that. Community with the Lord during musical worship takes so many different shapes. So this isn't me saying I disapprove of that style. JUST to be clear hehe). I take worship very seriously because I know that if someone plays the right song I am easily swayed and I want my musical worship experience to be authentic and not measured by the movement of the song. I want to mean the words I sing and I generally spend my time of worship in prayer, letting the music soak itself into my heart and brain. I'm not saying the Lord doesn't move me physically. There are times when I feel the need to dance and sing and shout to the Lord, but lately the worship in my heart has been very subdued and very quiet. Sitting in the moonlight by the Frio River a few weeks ago was one of the best worship moments that I have had in while.  We haven't been to church since Mother's Day because of weddings, being out of town. I've missed it, so I am excited to be back this Sunday. 

I was just listening to this song and it isn't a song of worship or whatever, but it spoke to me and moved me very nearly to tears. I'll post the lyrics below for you so you can understand how easily my emotions are turned. Really, if music is the food of love, play on. I am so easily tempted into tears by music. By the way, I love you David Crowder Band. You guys are geniuses. I think I break into tears more often by their silly instrumental tracks than by anything else. Ohhhhhhhh I wish I had the talent for music. But then I wonder if I would appreciate it as much as I do.....probably. :)

How long, in your mind, 
waiting for the sun to shine 
How long, in your mind, 
waiting for the sun . . . 
To break through 
from the words that have you bound. 
To escape from the feeling 
you are lost and can’t be found. 
lost and can’t be found. 

Don’t hide your face, you cannot erase 
The pain that stays in your eyes. 
Lay down your guard 
Show them who you are 
Behind your disguise. 

You run far from home 
Think you’ll make it on your own. 
You run fast and slow 
But never seem to know where you’re going 
To break free 
from the words that hold you down 
To escape from the feeling 
Your are lost and can’t be found. 

Don’t hide your face, you cannot erase 
The pain that stays in your eyes. 
Lay down your guard 
Show them who you are 
Behind your disguise. 
Your disguise 

Don’t hide your face, 
you cannot erase 
The pain that stays in your eyes. 
Lay down your guard 
Show them who you are 
Behind your disguise. 
Behind your disguise 
Your disguise



Ok, the end :)

No comments:

Post a Comment