Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Small Inspirations

This past weekend I attended the Willow Creek Leadership Summit for the first time ever. Our church was one of the hosts for their nationwide telecast and I am so thankful that I went. I've heard big things about it before and pretty much ignored people's encouragement for me to attend. :) I tend to rebel in my own way and naturally the Lord pushes me until I finally surrender my pride. Oh how grateful I am that He never gives up on me. Hehe.

Well, many of the teachers, interviews, and worship moments stood out in big ways, but the one that struck a chord in my tiny life was that of a young woman named Jessica Jackley of www.Kiva.org. She was engaging, energetic, and had a radiant spirit and I was so enamored by her presence that I went straight to kiva.org the first chance I had. Jessica is the co-founder of Kiva, a business created to connect people through lending for the sake of alleviating poverty. She witnessed first hand the power of micro-financing when she was in Kenya, Tanzania, and Uganda while working with Village Enterprise Fund and Project Baobab on impact evaluation and program development. She and her co-founder researched what lending to small business owners in Africa would do for them socially and how it would help in the fight against poverty and she had a vision. What if peer lending became a reality for these people and you or I could just lend 25.00 or 500.oo? How would that help in their sucess? Well, visit www.kiva.org for more information. You will not be disappointed. Jessica's is a story that touches my very core. She, like me, had the desire in her to help fight against some social injustice, and the Lord has blessed her for it and more importantly, the struggling entrepreneurs of these countries she loves. Her story of success just gives me courage. It reminds me that I am living in a world of many great injustices, but that by being faithful, I can help to make a difference. I don't know what. I don't know how. I don't even know when. But I pray that with whatever gifts and talents that are in me can be poured out on this nation and on this world for the glory and for the kingdom of God.

I realize that you critics and cynics might be rolling your eyes at my over enthusiasm tonight, but really, truly, I feel in my heart such a great fire. I pray we all can take the small, but necessary steps in doing our part. There are so many small inspirations every day to be a part of something so much bigger than ourselves.

No comments:

Post a Comment