Saturday, November 20, 2010

Spencer: An Update

Good morning, my friends!
I am just now having a chance to sit down and write a proper update. Updating from the phone is all good and swell, but I have little patience for typing on those little keypads. :)

Spencer did fantastic during surgery. The surgery itself took longer than the surgeon anticipated and discovered that it was a little more involved than we thought. The tissue was actually further into the bone than the MRI showed , but Dr. Burk is satisfied with his work and got the job done that needed to be accomplished. He is pleased with how well Spencer did and though his age is so small, he is doing fantastic.

It was incredibly heartbreaking for me to see my sweet little love moaning and aching from the pain. He is able to sleep on his back or his side, and for 24 hours needs to keep his head and tailbone alined. So I haven't been able to hold my littlest love. Truly, the ache of seeing your child so vulnerable is a scar that I shall not forget. It hurts.

Thankfully, you, our friends, have been an incredible community of support. Continue praying specifically that Spencer passes all post op tests (bladder function, etc) and that we can go home on Sunday and begin the recovery process. I will keep you all up to date as soon as I know more.

We feel all of your great love and prayers and good thoughts. It certainly isn't an easy experience for us to go through, but I have to praise God that it wasn't worse. I sat in that surgical waiting room, just grieving for the pain that many of those children are experiencing, and the resulting pain that the parents are feeling. I saw a mother weeping while her child was in the PICU and I just ached for her. I cling to the hope that I have in Jesus during these difficult times and especially praise the Lord for my husband, a constant tower of peace. God certainly knew what he was doing pairing us together.

In fact, the day that we found out that Spencer's chord was tethered, we left the hospital and the song playing was Dave Barne's song "God Gave Me You" and it just made me weep and praise the Lord for giving me a husband who I can trust, and walk through life with. Through the sunshine and the shade. This song (I posted it here on my blog. If you are reading this in facebook you need to go to www.paynefamilyfun.blogspot.com in order to see the video) isn't just a song that makes me think of my husband. Though he is the greatest encourager in my life, all of you have been so instrumental and helping me to keep my chin up. Really. Personal shout outs are coming your way.


We have had some friends in town from Las Vegas this week, and while we are disappointed that we weren't able to spend the weekend with them like we had hoped, they have been a great encouragement to us. Their own son went through quite a serious surgery when he was only four months old. So these forever friends, Aaron & Kerre, have been wonderful to have around. The Lord just knew we would need their lovin'.

I will keep you posted, my friends! Continue praying! And truly, your texts and messages and wall posts brighten our day. Thank you. Thank you.

1 comment:

  1. I will continue to pray for your four! Specifically that the Dr.s will continue to be pleased with Spencers progress. I pray that he will pass his test with flying colors and that you all will be home before you know it.

    Jade, I cannot even fathom the shoes you are in. Reading of your ache causes tears to well up in my eyes. Our Father is SO good that the Thorns were around at just the right moment.

    You two are an inspiration and I am truely blessed to call you my friends. You did exactly what the Devil didn't want you to do. Your marriage grew stronger through the adversity. Through the heartache, through the storm.

    I love you all dearly.

    Jackie

    ReplyDelete