Thursday, November 18, 2010

Spencer's Sugery, what??

So here it is, friends.

My sweet little Spencer love is going into surgery tomorrow morning at 11am.

Wow, I know.

Some of you we've told, many of you, we haven't. But mostly because this has all happened so quickly. And also because it's made me so weepy, that it's been hard for me to verbally discuss it.

So let me start at the beginning for those of you who are unaware of the situation.

Spencer was born with a small white tuft at the base of his spine, which the doctors have informed us is called a "sacral dimple". When we took him in to his first pediatric visit, the doctor suggested we have a sonogram done on it to determine whether it's something we should be concerned about or if it's just a birthmark.

The sonogram showed that his spinal cord is lower than normal and is actually "tethered" to a rather large mass of tissue. Because of the results of the ultrasound, they sent us to Driscoll for an MRI. And up to this point, nobody had discussed with us the ramifications of this tethered cord and what it all means.

Yesterday Spencer had his MRI, and the results showed exactly what the sonogram did. That Spencer has a tethered spinal cord and surgery must be done in order to prevent any sort of problems later. He could grow normally without surgery, and then slowly symptoms will start to show and then it would be too late. The damage would have already been done.
But with the surgery, all that will be avoided and he can grow into a healthy, active human being. The outlook on it all is quite positive and he will only need to be in the hospital for the weekend. Praise the Lord!

So with all that said, we so appreciate your prayers. Dr. Burk, the surgeon, is very knowledgeable and we praise God for his wisdom and that we were able to detect this sooner and not later when surgery would be more difficult. Pray for Dr. Burk and his team and those that will be caring for our little love. It's been quite stressful for me and I've so needed the texts and love that some of you who have known have been sending me. Nathan stayed overnight with Spencer while I came home to find rest and the sleep was so good for this weary soul.

If you have any questions or want to catch up with us, just send us a text or feel free to call or message me. We truly appreciate your prayers. Truly.

5 comments:

  1. Jade, I'm so sorry to hear you guys are having to go through this, but I know Spencer will be just fine! God is holding your little angel in His strong hands. I will be praying for your family and the doctors tomorrow morning. Let me know if you need ANYTHING!

    "And we know that all things work together for the good of those who love God, to them who have been called according to his purpose." Romans 8:28

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Jade, definitely surrounding you guys in prayer. I remember how scared I was when I got the ultrasound results back that there was something wrong with Hailey's kidneys...worst feeling ever...I had a good idea that she wouldn't need surgery based on her results and that was still difficult. Praying for peace that surpasses all understanding from now until you and Nathan get great news that he's out of surgery tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Praying for you and Spencer! I know this is not easy and I pray that God will pour down His peace and comfort on you. May HE guide the doctors hands and allow for a quick recovery for sweet Spencer!

    ReplyDelete
  4. He will do just fine honey! Keep strong! You are all in my prayers! I am sorry you have to go through this. Keep us posted! Love you!! Eb

    ReplyDelete