Monday, January 09, 2012

{Six is beautiful}

Rain is falling on my little blue house tonight. It's a quiet sort of rain (for now) and I'm thankful for it. This weekend was a blur of excitement for Nate and myself. We celebrated our wedding anniversary on Saturday, fondly remembering another Saturday, six years ago, where we dressed up in our fancy things and met each other at the alter.

Our wedding, 2006
We looked at our wedding pictures, and yes, I marvel at how far wedding photography has come in just a few years. Our pictures are so dated and formal. None of the flare or creativity that we share with our brides today.

But still, I love my wedding pictures. Even though they are nothing special, they are remarkably precious to me. Kissing my husband on that alter, sealing the vow to honor, to commit, to cherish, to fight for, to love, to dream with, and to serve. And most importantly, to serve beside each other...

I love our anniversary. It's always wonderful to reminisce our wedding day. To relive the celebration. And to give thanks for what we've shared and to anticipate the future together. Growing old together, watching our children grow and have children (Lord willing) and just living life together fully and passionately. We aren't trapped. We are soaring together. We make life better together. Nate is the best teammate a woman could ask for. He challenges me (sometimes frustratingly enough) and he encourages me and he loves me in spite of myself.

i look like I'm playing dress up
Yes, six is beautiful. I love sharing my life with this man. Sometimes I try to picture what my life might have been like if I had chosen a different road and it's simply inconceivable to me. Impossible. He is the one. My lobster :) Only you Friends fans could get that.

I mean, right now, at this very moment, my adorable husband is laying across our bed where a Rapunzel painting is hanging over it, reading Monster in the Hollows, simply because I gushed and gushed about The Wingfeather Saga. He reads the books that I read. He listens when I play the same song over and over and over for him. He changes diapers and puts up with my horrible cooking.

I feel so awful sometimes to have so much. Do you ever feel that way? Oh, certainly, there are difficult days, difficult years. But there is no man I would want to walk through the fires of life with than my husband.

The boys bought me roses
Needless to say, it was a great day. Thanks to Nate's momma for watching our bambinos Saturday and Sunday morning. We saw Warhorse at the theater (Abby, it was cry your eyes out amazing.) and we had some Jason's Deli lunch. Our pals had their baby, Orion, on Saturday, so we popped by the hospital to visit them. THEN we (and Shayna, Jacob, and Jamie) stayed up until the wee hours of the morning setting up their nursery for them at their house (surprise!) and doing a bit of sprucing up for them so they'd have a sparkly house to come home to. (And yes, they come home tonight, and were thoroughly surprised)

THEN, this morning, our church welcomed my cute husband onto their leadership as a church elder. I know, it sounds so distinguished. Haha...but really, he'll just be doing what he's already doing: serving our church, having accountability with our pastor, and being all around amazing. It was a good morning at the creek, for sure.
New years weekend, 2012

I think about what the past six years have brought. The big changes that have occurred, the friends we've loved and lost and found. We are so blessed. The community that we share life with is generous and compassionate. The family that looks after us is fun and loyal and wise. The friends that we share our deepest parts of ourselves with are constant. And our love for the other only grows with each road we take.

Of course, one of our favorite songs is Dancing in the Minefield by *yep, you guessed it... Andrew Peterson. I'm embarrassed by HOW much I talk about him, but seriously, this song is me and Nathan. Watch this video, listen to why Andrew wrote this song (and laugh with us) and then listen to the words.



Yep. These are my favorite lines:

So when I lose my way, find me
When I loose love's chains, bind me
At the end of all my faith, till the end of all my days
When I forget my name, remind me

'Cause we bear the light of the Son of Man
So there's nothing left to fear  
So I'll walk with you in the shadowlands  
Till the shadows disappear
 
'Cause he promised not to leave us  
And his promises are true  
So in the face of all this chaos, 
baby, I can dance with you"


Such a clear example of marriage, God's way. And there is no better way to live. My grandfather had Alzheimer's Disease and that line just hits me in the gut "when I forget my name, remind me".

Nathan and I got married really young. I was only 21, and I had no idea how difficult it would be to share your life wholly, and selflessly with someone. (Not to mention the littles that joined our family along the way).  Our journey is surprising and wonderful.

No doubt about it.
Six years is beautiful....with Nathan.

Here's to this next year, my beloved. I'm so thankful for you.
xo, your girl..

1 comment: