Wednesday, February 29, 2012

{tower view}


The other night, after the babies went to bed, I painted a quick new piece that has been stuck in my brain for a while. Tangled is my new favorite Disney movie and I cannot get enough of it. It's whimsical, beautiful, romantic, adventurous, and the soundtrack makes me laugh and cry and twirl around.

My favorite thing about the movie is how Rapunzel has a creative brain. She paints! There are no words for the way I felt when I saw the movie for the first time. Her sweet, awkward ways make me laugh and I related so much to her barefoot, messy-haired, clumsy self. Bonus: her lisp makes me laugh. I just love her. I swear, I make that same face she makes when I step back and look at my painting. I love it.

So one of my favorite scenes is when she is painting this picture on the one free piece of space in her tower: above the fireplace. She paints the view that she has from her tower window of the hills beyond and the lights floating above it. The floating lights are actually lanterns that her parents release every year on her birthday, hoping she will see them and follow the lights home. (genius!) She knows in her heart that she was meant for more than her little tower. She dreams of something more. She yearns for it. And so she paints that longing.

Rapunzel's style of painting is so whimsical. It reflects the Disney animators style from the Sleeping Beauty era, which is technically categorized as Rococo oil painting styling. They drew a lot of their inspiration from an 18th century oil painting entitled The Swing by Jean-Honore Fragonard. It's a really ethereal piece and they imagined Rapunzel swinging around on her great golden hair and they just ran with the idea. I think it's perfect and lovely. I can't get enough of the art in this movie.

So Wesley had seen me start the painting. He saw the blues and the greens meeting together and said he wished he could paint my canvas too (he was somewhat frustrated that I wouldn't allow him to) and then he went to bed before I got much further. When he awoke the next morning and bounced into the kitchen, he saw my finished piece and simply exploded with excitement.

I love the way it turned out. Drippy and emotional and simple. It reminds me to never be silent. To never be complacent. It's my tower view and it's beautiful.




What do you think? Close resemblance to hers, but still my own. (this pictures don't do the details justice, I promise! Camera phone captures)
Hers & Mine

So here's to not waiting 18 years before letting our lives begin. No amount of evil Mother Gothels can keep us from the adventures that lay before us. And no silly little towers, either.

"I could go running and racing and dancing and chasing and leaping and bounding, hair flying, heart pounding and splashing and reeling and finally feeling that now's when my life begins!"--Rapunzel

1 comment:

  1. I love this Jade, you're so talented! I saw Tangled recently and totally loved it.

    ReplyDelete