Friday, July 20, 2012

Far Country, Batman

Obviously, last night was the midnight showing of the newest Batman flick The Dark Knight Rises. The cute husband and I had tickets to see it with our pal Jamie, my bro, and the rest of our geekery obsessed friends. My brother couldn't make it up from his town to see it, so I sadly sold his ticket off. Then, the week became progressively more emotional and tired for us (one of our beloved friends was in town visiting to say her goodbyes as she is flying off into the sunset to teach at an amazing school in Redding, California) and I was feeling increasingly fatigued as I am officially entering my 7th week of pregnancy (wow, I haven't even blogged about this sweet little baby--see how my life has been frantic and non-stop busy!?!) I will not list my woes of the week for you on here. It's not my place to complain or grumble. These are just seasons. Seasons.
All of that gibbering to say, the cute husband, Jamie and I handed off our tickets to various friends. We were just too tired. Too emotional. Too overworked. And simply not interested in falling asleep during a movie that we REALLY want to see. So here's hoping we can see the movie one evening in the next week before we hear spoilers of some sort.

While some of our favorite friends were sitting in their seats watching the movie, a time zone behind us, another group of fans were sitting in a darkened theater about to have their lives dramatically altered.

Most of America woke up to the news that a man opened fire on a theater full of Batman fans. There were pre-teens present. There were younger aged children. There was even a 3 month old baby who was shot. And let's face it, if it's a nursing infant, chances are a lot of us moms would take the baby with us, feed it, and enjoy the movie while the baby sleeps. No harm, no foul. At least, it SHOULD be that way.

As I sat reading the news this morning, I was just appalled. Frustrated. FURIOUS. And heartbroken. My friend Melissa sent her son, husband, and one of her son's friends to see the midnight showing last night. I don't know what we all would have done if something like that happened to us. If Wesley had been older, I would have brought him along with us (he loves Batman and rightly so!) and let him experience the magic of a midnight showing (guilty of being a midnight showing obsessed fan)..Not to mention all the other people we love that attended across the states and ALL the people we didn't even know who attended.

I'm just frustrated. What has happened to us? It's an ugly truth knowing that we walk not in safety, but in the reality that a gunman can open fire on us at any time. At our schools. In a grocery store. At the mall. And now, let's add movie theaters to the mix. These places are supposed to be guarded. Safe. Secure.

But truly. Our world is fallen. It is lost. It his often in a state of unrest and upheaval.

When I am thinking of all these things, dwelling on the darkness, crying into my pillow at night, I am gently reminded that this is not it for us. This land that we live in is the far country, not our home. Not our home. Obviously I am sensitive to bad news as my last blog post was grim and bleak, so the news that innocent comic book nerds (and let's face it, I would be friends with everyone in that theater) were GUNNED down in cold blood.

No. This can't be our home. We were created to be so much more.

I can't deny how I praise God that I can raise my children with hope and faith. And while, yes, we are not safe from the evils of this world, and no, I can not protect the innocence of my children forever, we walk in truth and peace because our hope is not for this world, this far country, but for the land of the living, where the High King dwells.

(yes, I am about to bring an Andrew Peterson song up....again)

AP's song "Far Country" is ringing loud and clear in my heart right now, as I grieve those who were lost last night. I grieve for them, yes. I weep for them. And I pray for their families with as much fervor as I can pull forth.

And I pray that there will be light in their life so that they too can catch hold of the hope that is waiting for them.

Watch this video, listen to the words. My favorite part comes at the bridge (is that what it's called?) about  2:32ish. The lyrics just break me into pieces.



And just for good measure, I will post the lyrics here for you:

Andrew Peterson
"The Far Country"

Father Abraham
Do you remember when
You were called to a land
And didn’t know the way

‘Cause we are wandering
In a foreign land
We are children of the
Promise of the faith

And I long to find it
Can you feel it, too?
That the sun that’s shining
Is a shadow of the truth

This is a far country, a far country
Not my home

In the dark of the night
I can feel the shadows all around me
Cold shadows in the corners of my heart

But the heart of the fight
Is not in the flesh but in the spirit
And the spirit’s got me shaking in the dark

And I long to go there
I can feel the truth
I can hear the promise
Of the angels of the moon

This is a far country, a far country
Not my home

I can see in the strip malls and the phone calls
The flaming swords of Eden
In the fast cash and the news flash
And the horn blast of war
In the sin-fraught cities of the dying and the dead
Like steel-wrought graveyards where the wicked never rest
To the high and lonely mountain in the groaning wilderness
We ache for what is lost
As we wait for the holy God
Of Father Abraham


I was made to go there
Out of this far country
To my home, to my home


Edit: My friend Stacey (who's husband was also at our local midnight showing last night--he actually got the ticket off of me) re-posted this incredible blog written by a woman named Marie who was actually in Theater 9 in Aurora last night. She took her daughters to see the movie and they escaped safely. PLEASE read her account. I urge you to do so, friends. 

No comments:

Post a Comment