Wednesday, November 07, 2012

Confessions

Confession #1: I did not vote. November 6th was an extremely busy day for me and early voting wasn't in my frame of mind last week. And by busy, I mean, I spent the day working on weddings, getting my braces adjusted, and browsing the Christmas section of Pier One for some cheerful inspiration as I was feeling a bit melancholy.  I feel a little bit like Meg Ryan in You've Got Mail when she confesses that she got a manicure and forgot to vote. You know the scene, right before she and that crazy writer who loves his typewriter break up so that she can ultimately be free to love Tom Hanks aka NY152. It was the best. Did I just spoil that scene for you?

Oops. Confession #2: I also forget to put spoiler alerts in my blog.

Confession #3: I also love Tom Hanks.

Basically, I wasn't putting my face in the elections this year. It isn't that I believe my vote doesn't count, it's just that I trust that God is placing whomever in office that is supposed to be there. In spite of my lack of political enthusiasm.

Last night, Nate and I were laying in bed looking at our facebook feeds on our phones when the call was made that President Obama was re-elected. The depressed, angry, frustrated responses that I read from my peers were heartbreaking. I knew they were upset. I knew a lot of people were really upset. I also know that if Mitt Romney had won, we would have heard an even angrier mob from the other team. In my heart, I saw exactly what Satan wanted: Division in our nation.

My heart grieves the loss of so much, but that's the point, right? This place is not our home. Our nation will be stretched and grown and fall and rise and seeds of prosperity may or may not be planted for our future generations, but all that Nathan and I can do is continue to lead our little ones forward in the way of Christ. We are grateful to live in a free nation and we will give respect to our leaders, but our hearts and faith and hope has been and will always be deeply rooted in our communion with the God who created this world and the men that inhabit it. (Including the man that is now our president for four more years. God loves our president with an always and forever love)

So this morning as I reflect on the events of last night, I praise God for our nation. I praise God for the saints of His people who continue to battle the dark corners of this earth. But I praise God for his mercy and grace.

"Let every person be subject to the governing authorities. For there is no authority except from God, and those that exist have been instituted by God. Therefore whoever resists the authorities resists what God has appointed, and those who resist will incur judgment." Romans 13:1-2


peace,
jade

1 comment:

  1. Jade - i love this. Your beautiful heart so clearly reflects the condition of Christ.

    ReplyDelete